Re: Getting snapshot version of Chef?

  • From: Jeppe Nejsum Madsen <jeppe@ingolfs.dk>
  • To: chef@lists.opscode.com
  • Subject: Re: Getting snapshot version of Chef?
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 21:40:30 +0200

On 06/06/2009, at 18.19, Daniel DeLeo wrote:

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 3:48 AM, Jeppe Nejsum Madsen <jeppe@ingolfs.dk> wrote:
Hi,

I'm using chef-solo to bootstrap EC2 instances, and seems to be hit by
http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-281 which is a showstopper.

The good news is that it seems to be fixed already :-) But I'm
wondering how to actually use the fix. Being a java guy, I don't know
much about ruby, gems etc so my basic question is:

Is there a way to (easily) install a snapshot version of chef? I don't
want to build from source since chef is installed as part of the
instance startup. Maintaining my own gems are probably(?) also not an
option. Alternatively, when is 0.6.4 due :-)

You seem to have ruled out everything except waiting for the next version ;-). In the spirit of being helpful, let me describe what you need to do to build your own gem, and you can see if it might be an option.

:-) What I meant was I don't want to  build from source to install chef during instance launch.  Thanks to your instructions and some quick google fu I've come the conclusion that it is straightforward to make your own gem repo...

/Jeppe