[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Thinking out loud

  • From: Sander van Zoest <sander@vanzoest.com>
  • To: chef@lists.opscode.com
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Thinking out loud
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:04:53 -0700

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Adam Jacob <adam@opscode.com> wrote:
<snip>
>    http://wiki.rubaidh.com/display/public/Bootstrapping+Chef
>
> I'm sure it's utterly bug ridden and flawed, but it does appear to do the
> right thing. And, for bonus points, it seems to be somewhat idempotent in
> that it doesn't cause harm if you run it again. Not that it carries on where
> it left off, but at least everything happens in a temporary directory, or
> through Chef.
>
> Thoughts?

I dig it!  It's already pretty generic, but seeing something like this
for all the various platforms we support is a great idea.  Reminds me
of the old Gnome installer from back in the day.  Another variant on
this would be using Capistrano to do it remotely..

I am using something similar, but a bit more basic as a rake task in the chef-repo.

<http://gist.github.com/158298>

--
Sander van Zoest                                          sander@vanzoest.com
San Diego, CA, USA                                http://Sander.vanZoest.com/