[chef] chef-solo run hangs while attempting to restart service

  • From: Graeme Mathieson < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] chef-solo run hangs while attempting to restart service
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 17:25:15 +0100

Hi,

I'm seeing an issue when I'm running chef-solo bringing up a new server.  Most of the recipes run OK, but when it comes to starting up a service, it just pauses.  Looking at it on another ssh session, I see there's no activity, and there's an unreaped zombie   called (for example) chef-indexer.  Same thing happens with couchdb which is using the Ubuntu-supplied init script, so hopefully it's not just poor init script writing skills on my part!

When I then run `sudo /etc/init.d/chef-indexer restart` (or whatever, for the service that's currently causing it to stick) it'll carry on working its way through the recipes, and the zombie will have disappeared.

I'll dig into it a bit further over the next few days, but I just thought I'd throw it out there, see if anybody else had seen this too?

Graeme Mathieson
Managing Director
Rubaidh Ltd: Scottish for Ruby on Rails

Telephone: +44 (0)131 273 5271
Mobile: +44 (0)7949 0777 44

Rubaidh Ltd is a limited company registered in Scotland with registration number SC297029 and VAT number GB 916 0341 53. The registered address is: Stuart House, Eskmills, Musselburgh, East Lothian, EH21 7PB, United Kingdom.