[chef] Re: Re: When will the chef 0.8 be released?

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: When will the chef 0.8 be released?
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 15:51:08 -0700

Ohai Chefs,
For those of you who are comfortable running pre-release software, I have an unofficial bootstrap recipe for 0.8 available here:

http://github.com/danielsdeleo/cookbooks

(Technically this is the 08boot branch, which I've set to my integration branch. I'll leave it this way at least until an official bootstrap is available.)

I have used it on Ubuntu Karmic Koala with the runit init style. You need to get chef from github, then install the 0.8 gems with `rake install`. After that, run chef-solo with at least `{"recipes":["bootstrap::server"]}` in your json file to bootstrap the server.

Enjoy, and feel free to provide patches or ask questions on irc.freenode.net#chef if you have any trouble.

Dan DeLeo

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Adam Jacob < "> > wrote:
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Dikang Gu < "> > wrote:
> Looking forward to the new Chef. :)

Me too!

The current status is that we've made the 0.8 branch the current
master, and we're switching all the developers over to working there.
The API portion is pretty much ready to go, and work on getting the
Web UI (which talks directly to the API now) up to snuff continues.
If you're willing to put some elbow grease behind it, and your happy
with using our command line tool for managing your hosts, you can use
Chef 0.8.0 today from source.

We'll be making a triage task to whittle down the tickets that are
confirmed as the minimum feature set for an 0.8.0 release, and then
start writing documentation, building packages, and bootstrapping.
It's a big release, with pretty significant architectural changes
(authentication, search, data bags, and more.)

The goal is to get it out before the new year - rest assured, I want
to ship it as much as you want to use it. :)

Anyone who wants to play with the new features is welcome to drop me a
line, and I'll hook you up with access to the Opscode Platform Alpha.

Regards,
Adam

--
Opscode, Inc.