[chef] Setting up a node from command line?

  • From: Will Sargent < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Setting up a node from command line?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 18:35:59 -0800

So I'm installing Chef for the first time on an EC2 instance using the quick start guide and I have hit a wall at the point where I have to add a node so that running "sudo chef-client" does not give me a "401" error.

Here are the steps I've followed

sudo gem sources -a http://gems.opscode.com
sudo gem install ohai chef json

sudo apt
-get install couchdb

sudo
/etc/init.d/couchdb start
sudo
/etc/init.d/couchdb status

sudo gem install chef
-server chef-server-slice
sudo gem install stompserver

stompserver
&

sudo vi
/etc/chef/server.rb
sudo chef
-indexer
sudo chef
-server -c2 -N

git clone git
://github.com/opscode/chef-repo.git
cd chef
-repo
vi config
/rake.rb
rake test
git ci
-am 'Add everything'
rake install

sudo chef
-client

I have read through the managing nodes page but the documentation does not give me enough information to set myself up -- I have tried adding a registration token, but specifying it in /etc/chef/server.rb does not seem to change anything, and neither does sudo chef-client -t 'token'

I cannot use a web browser on this instance (tried lynx, it doesn't seem sufficient), so anything I do has to be doable through command line. Help?