[chef] service resource on ubuntu

  • From: Brian Connolly < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] service resource on ubuntu
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 13:17:36 -0700

Hello,

I have a few custom init scripts that I would like to configure using chef.  It is unclear what the service resource does when you attempt to control the service.

[NOTE: I am using chef-solo ]

If we assume that the service script is already installed and the recipe states

service "sample" do
  action [ :stop]
end

What actually happens?  Does chef just execute "/etc/init.d/sample stop" or does the behavior depend on how the resource is configured (ie if I specified a start_command, etc)?

If no other configuration is specified except what is given above, how does chef attempt to shut down the service?

Thank you,

Brian Connolly

Other Information
 - OS version= Ubuntu 9.10
 - Chef version = 0.8.16

  • [chef] service resource on ubuntu, Brian Connolly, 05/17/2010