[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: System configuration tool comparison

  • From: Chris Walters < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: System configuration tool comparison
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 11:52:36 -0700

And to be very clear, access to each of those kinds of objects (and others not listed but probably not important for your purposes) is separated into CREATE, READ, UPDATE, DELETE, and GRANT (required to view or change the object's ACLs) Access Control Entries (ACEs) so that a person may have the ability to read one cookbook but not modify it, while having complete access to another and no access to yet a third. Each ACE can have groups or actors, and groups can contain both actors and other groups.

The one sentence description: It's fine-grain RBAC via discretionary ACLs with (possibly nested) groups.

Hope that helps,
Chris