[chef] EPEL repository (Redhat/Centos) breaks chef after 9/15

  • From: "Leinartas, Michael" < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] EPEL repository (Redhat/Centos) breaks chef after 9/15
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 01:42:24 -0500
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Title: EPEL repository (Redhat/Centos) breaks chef after 9/15
This is half a warning and half a note to Matthew Kent who so graciously packages up Chef for Redhat/CentOS systems.

Today an update went out to EPEL to add rubygem-json 1.4.3.  For those of us using the combination of EPEL and ELFF (mkent's repo) repositories, this updates rubygem-json from 1.1.9 (from ELFF).  Unfortunately, Chef and Ohai need versions less than or equal to 1.4.2, so Rubygems will refuse to load the chef and ohai gems.

I've temporarily fixed this on the boxes that picked it up using
yum downgrade rubygem-json

but I think I'll just be moving the EPEL dependencies to my local repo so as not to be bitten again if another update like this occurs.