[chef] Re: recreating validator client?

  • From: Seth Chisamore < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: recreating validator client?
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 12:52:46 -0400

Your current nodes should be ok as the validator key is only used to when a node checks in the first time.  During this initial checkin an identity (key pair) is generated for the node (private key is saved on the node).  From this point forward the node uses the client identity for authenticating all requests.
http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Anatomy+of+a+Chef+Run#AnatomyofaChefRun-RegisteringWithTheChefServer

So long story short ,you will only need your newly generated validator keypair for registering new nodes.

-Seth

--
Opscode, Inc.
Seth Chisamore, Technical Evangelist