[chef] Re: Changes to run_list (sometimes) won't stick!

  • From: Paul Paradise < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Changes to run_list (sometimes) won't stick!
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 22:14:35 -0700

I'm the original reporter (though not reflected in JIRA; Nuo filed it on my behalf) and yeah - it's a pretty ugly bug. I've had similar troubles with data bags and roles edited using knife - I'll often edit a databag just to view it in vim (I know, bad habit) and then forget about it, make a change in another terminal to the same databag, and then eventually quit the first, overwriting my changes. I believe the client needs to have some form of locking or revision control to really make this problem go away - optimistic locking wouldn't be too difficult to retrofit, but something with vector clocks and an archived history would allow for more intelligent merges of conflicting data than "last one wins."

I've been working around it for now by extending the client run interval (reducing the likelihood of a race condition) or just eliminating the chef-client's daemon process entirely. Certain critical nodes I only run chef in an attended fashion - thereby ensuring that I get a consistent state. Unfortunately, not the greatest workaround. :-(

-Paul