[chef] Re: Re: Can you recommend a command-and-control tool?

  • From: Steven Dossett < >
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Can you recommend a command-and-control tool?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:32:02 -0500

We had the same need so I wrote a tool for this in our environment. It allows us to update nodes explicitly and with a controlled pool of connections.

In our case, some of the heavy lifting is accomplished through capistrano using it more or less as a general purpose library for driving chef commands and responses. I also use the Chef exception handler capability to store error conditions and exception data back inside Chef as node data in addition to what we gather from the tool at runtime. The combination works well for us.

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 7:19 PM, John E. Vincent (lusis) <lusis.org+ "> > wrote:

Rundeck and mcollective will probably be your best bet. I'd love to recommend vogeler but I've had to time off from development for a while.

You can also look at func but it's pretty RHEL specific.