[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problems with Search?

  • From: Jason Cook < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problems with Search?
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 15:28:05 -0800

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:01 PM, Paul Paradise < "> > wrote:
I've had similar problems in the past where the nagios would fail to restart because a client saved its node[:ipaddress] as nil, and the next chef-client run on my nagios server broke it. Anecdotally, it only happens when I reboot a node. I suspect there's a race condition at startup where chef-client starts running (and collects the ohai attributes) before the node gets a DHCP lease, and ends up writing a nil node[:ipaddress] when the run completes.

Perhaps you have the same problem, but with the node[:ipaddress] disappearing from your nagios node rather than the monitored nodes?

-Paul

I've seen it happen on a machine that gets into an oom condition when running ohai.  The partial data for the run still gets submitted and indexed into the search engine.  We tend to write very defensive recipes when using search to guard against malformed data.  We also switched to starting chef from cron, though the memory leak issues we saw in daemon mode I think are mostly fixed.

Jason