[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 0.10.RC Windows:site-cookbooks doesn't work

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 0.10.RC Windows:site-cookbooks doesn't work
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:37:24 -0700

On Thursday, April 28, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Edward Sargisson wrote:
Okay... so if I understand the intent then, to take my concrete example:
Business need: The wordpress recipe doesn't quite work for me because it publishes an apache wordpress.conf only for workpress and not to connect to Tomcat as my site needs.

So I should fork the wordpress recipe, make a change so that the generation of the wordpress.conf can be suppressed based on an attribute and put the resulting change into the repository you created at [0] below so that it can be picked up if considered useful.

Then my local recipe becomes:
* set the attribute to suppress wordpress.conf
* include_recipe wordpress
* generate the site specific <site>.conf

Am I understanding things?
What I recommend is to use `knife cookbook site install`. It's unfortunate that this is also broken for you on windows at the moment. Anyway, the "vendor branch" strategy reduces the amount of code you need to duplicate when modifying upstream cookbooks. With the file-shadowing approach, you might need to copy all of a 100 line file just to add a few lines. The file shadowing strategy is also more difficult to understand, since the entire cookbook is no longer in one place.

Despite the above, the shadowing approach is still supported, even if discouraged, so I'll be happy to check out your debugging output to see what's going on.

Cheers,
Edward

--
Dan DeLeo