[chef] Repositories and git

  • From: Oliver Beattie < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Repositories and git
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 21:36:29 +0100

Hi there,

This may seem like a really basic question, and I feel I've probably missed some really elemental "aha moment" that most people get within 10 seconds, but I'm struggling to understand how repositories work with git.

For instance, is it possible to clone the repository and add cookbooks to it locally? When I try it (via use of Knife) I just get an error saying /srv/chef/{something} doesn't exist. I'm assuming to get the benefits of a (D)VCS this must be possible?

Thanks (and apologies if I'm being terribly dense).