[chef] Re: Re: Repositories and git

  • From: Jeffrey Sussna < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Repositories and git
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:17:05 -0500

I think this is one of the reasons Chef is confusing to approach for newbies. Yes, the Getting Started wiki page tells you that git is optional. The problem is that git has been added to the already large list of tools/concepts you need consider, even if only to decide to ignore it.

Jeff

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Noah Kantrowitz < "> > wrote:
Chef never uses git itself, you upload the cookbooks and other data to the chef-server via knife and clients interface with it from there (or, if you use solo, it just looks in a local folder of your choosing). If you want to use git to version things you are encouraged to (or hg, subversion, etc), but it isn't tied in to Chef itself.

--Noah