[chef] Easy way to add a role to a new node?

  • From: Ian Marlier < >
  • To: chef < >
  • Subject: [chef] Easy way to add a role to a new node?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:45:47 -0400

Hey, everyone --

I have a bootstrap script that registers hosts with Chef when they boot.  I'd love to have this script also add a role to the newly created nodes -- in this case, a base role that includes all of the universal system configs.  Is there an easy way to do this, either by having the node tell the chef server at registration that it has this role, or by having the server add the role when a new node is registered?

Thanks!

- Ian

--
Ian Marlier | Systems Engineer