[chef] Environment-specific Data bag?

  • From: Benoit Caron < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Environment-specific Data bag?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 11:40:18 -0400

Is it possible to have different values in a data bag per environment?

I find it tricky to change something in the structure of a data bag: I can test the cookbook changes in my dev environment, but pushing the databag to my chef-server makes it available to the production nodes, which don't know about the change.

This could also be a way to have different values for the respective environments (like say, a different path, IP address, etc.).

Or am I using the data bag incorrectly?

Benoit