[chef] Re: Creating Amazon AMI's from Running Instances

  • From: Clif Smith < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Creating Amazon AMI's from Running Instances
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 09:43:36 -0600

I use a multi-pronged approach to this.  I have a image (Amazon AMI) with only the changes being the installation of the Omnibus client and the validation.pem.  I then use that and a base-image role which only installs packages that all of my systems use.  I use the base-image as my golden image as I ran into a networking problem that caused new images to hang due to package installations/updates.  When new images are spun up they only have to configure software that's already installed and then deploy my company's software so my deploy time has decreased and I've lessened my dependencies somewhat as well.

--
cjs