[chef] Re: Re: Re: Omnibus Client installer open beta

  • From: Sascha Bates < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Omnibus Client installer open beta
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 10:44:09 -0600

I did it in June so my memory is sketchy.  But I believe I downloaded an OS-agnostic version (like a .tgz set) and installed from the command line.  I also think I had to work some bugs fixes into it, but I don't think it was related to RH4 - just an early version of the omnibus.

The client I was at elected to compile their own ruby on RH4 instead of using the omnibus at that time, but I did get it working.

You can read the install.sh and see the URL where the omnibus is coming from:
url=""http://s3.amazonaws.com/opscode-full-stack/$platform-$platform_version-$machine/$filename"

This page has an xml listing of all the packages: http://s3.amazonaws.com/opscode-full-stack

I'm pretty sure I just grabbed one of the existing red hat installs for 5.x and was able to get it to work. I was pretty excited when I managed, but truthfully I can't remember if I did anything special.

Sorry to be so not-helpful :)

Sascha

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Burkholder, Peter < "> > wrote:
Hi,
On Dec 16, 2011, at 8:32 PM, Sascha Bates wrote:

> I've used this on various version of Ubuntu and Red Hat (4 and 5) and I think it's awesome!  I truly appreciate the ease of use it brings to client installs.
>
> Sascha
So, how do I move forward getting this to our RedHat EL4 boxes (since I can't drop off the roof just yet).  I only see RHEL5/6 as supported.

Thanks,

Peter
--
Peter Burkholder | Sr. System Administrator (consultant)
AARP | Digital Strategy & Operations | 601 E Street NW | Washington, DC 20049