[chef] Re: Re: What is the cookbook development workflow in your team?

  • From: Torben Knerr < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: What is the cookbook development workflow in your team?
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 09:34:40 +0100

Hi James, Peter, Zuhaib,

thanks for sharing your experience and sorry for the delayed response.

One thing I noticed is that we also have our chef repo managed in a git repository, which makes it natural the version the whole chef repo instead of individual cookbooks (which is what James is doing). However, cookbooks have a version in their metadata.rb, which brings up the urge in me to version them separately, ideally in their own git repo. Someone in #chef irc pointed me to librarian [1], which solves this issue by .gitignoring the cookbooks/ dir and pulling them in from another location, e.g. a separate git repo.

I have also discussed with some other people, and my current gut feeling tends to an approach like this:

- treat X.Y.Z versions with an odd Z as SNAPSHOT versions that might be overridden in the Chef server without notice

- development and testing of SNAPSHOTs is done in a branch. Once it is ready to release it gets an even Z, is merged back to master, uploaded to the chef Server and frozen

- allow SNAPSHOTs only in lower environments, e.g. in dev env and for the CI build they may be common, but in prod env you never have odd Z versions

- use librarian [1] so that cookbooks can be versioned independently in their own git repos and can be pulled together as needed (e.g. branches for CI build, tags for prod env)

- consider having developer private chef servers running in a local VM while developing / testing a SNAPSHOT (if interference becomes an issue)

- some tooling would be required to automate the release process outlined above (a la maven-release-plugin), and to check that cookbooks to be released don't have dependencies to SNAPSHOT cookbooks, etc..

One thing that is different in maven is that you have SNAPSHOTs as an explicit concept in the version number. Having this, you can easily tell whether that thing is released or in development just by looking at the git repo. In chef you have this concept only in the chef server (frozen vs not frozen), but you can't tell from looking at the source. That's why you then need to come up with conventions like odd Z ,versions etc...

Would introducing explicit SNAPSHOTs to Chef be an option? Or is this just a special requirement which most people don't have in reality?

What do you think?

Cheers,
Torben

[1] https://github.com/applicationsonline/librarian