[chef] Re: Re: Handling "deleted" servers on chef

  • From: Rob Guttman < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Handling "deleted" servers on chef
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 09:43:33 -0500

One tip for ec2 users: you may also need/want to delete the chef *client*(i.e., not just the node) from the chef server.

The reason is that ec2 reuses private ip addresses which (at least in my case) are what get used as the client id when knife bootstrapping a node.  Therefore, you can get a client id collision if a new ec2 instance reuses a private ip address the chef server has seen before.

- Rob