[chef] Adding the Opscode GPG key to apt

  • From: Geoff Meakin < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Adding the Opscode GPG key to apt
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 18:26:41 +0000

Hi all,

In case anybody has this problem:

gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 83EF826A

Yet in the chef-server cookbook https://github.com/cookbooks/gecode/blob/qa/recipes/default.rb , I've seen it use:

    key "2940ABA983EF826A"
    keyserver "pgpkeys.mit.edu"

I have MAJOR problems with both of these. pgpkeys.mit.edu is just far too frequently out of capacity, and keys.gnupg.net for some weird reason only works 50% of the time for me (randomly, so I'm guessing DNS roundrobining isnt working or something). Really frustrating for automating chef-servers.

I found this solution works fine and consistently however:

      key "83EF826A"
      keyserver "pool.sks-keyservers.net"

This seems to be a pool of keyservers around the web which I've never had problems with. Maybe it helps someone