[chef] RHN, Cobbler and Chef

  • From: Craig Cook < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] RHN, Cobbler and Chef
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 12:17:26 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

I am looking for some provisioning guidance…

We have a  Red Hat Satellite server installed, but not well used/configured yet.

I’m not sold that RHN is the best solution for us.

I want Chef to be the “backbone” app that manages our Red Hat servers, packages, config files, services, etc.

Should RHN manage general OS packages and chef do specific things?

e.g.  I have a apache role, assign it to a server.  Part of the role says what version of apache to use.  Should that functionality live in cobbler/RHN instead?

Should we have a “production” repo that contains all packages and have chef ensure what is locally installed matches the production repo?  Should that be RHN’s job?

Is this a “it depends” type answer?

Craig