[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Demonstrating the Power of Chef, Librarian and Vagrant

  • From: Torben Knerr < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Demonstrating the Power of Chef, Librarian and Vagrant
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 08:23:51 +0200

Hi Jeremiah,

thanks for writing this up! I was basically considering the same approach, i.e. moving my cookbooks outside of the chef-repo so I can track them in their individual git repos without having nested git repos in my chef-repo. I also came across librarian and had something similar in my head, but I didn't put it into practice yet...

Without ever having tried it out, how does librarian handle dependency conflicts? Consider the following cookbook dependencies:
foo v1.0 -> baz v1.0
bar v1.0 -> baz 2.0

I believe chef-server can host multiple versions of the same cookbook, but how does librarian handle this situation? Will it add the version number to the cookbooks it creates inside chef-repo/cookbooks?

Another question that maybe someone from OpsCode can answer: will `knife cookbook site install` be deprecated or remain as-is now that the OpsCode cookbooks are organized in individual git repos? As Jeremiah already mentioned in his writeup there seems to be an impedance mismatch as you "lose" the source / origin of the cookbooks with the `knife cookbook site install` approach.

Cheers,
Torben