[chef] Re: Re: application deployments

  • From: Jay Perry < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: application deployments
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 21:43:16 -0400

Thanks KC, any reason you chose a data bag over using a role to store the version info?  Did you check in the data bag you kept bumping the version on or it was just pushed to the chef server each time and it was a databag that wasn't stored in source control?  I just don't like that our CI server will need to check in the data bag or role so I think we'll just keep a copy of the databag in our CI server.

I'm also interested if you could get those those guys to present.

Thanks,
Jay

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 2:25 PM, KC Braunschweig < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 9:13 AM, JayP < "> > wrote:
> In addition I wanted to get some suggestions on how best to manage the version
> number of the application rpm being deployed into qa/staging/production.  Since
> we have a separate continuous integration pipeline for our infrastructure code
> (cookbooks) and the rev'ing of the cookbook in the production.json file is
> automated through our CI system I would rather not store the application rpm

Mapping application versions to environments is a good use for a data
bag. At my former company we did this initially and eventually
replaced the data bag with a separate web service that provided
similar data but could run custom business logic to manage version
promotion. This was for deploying maven artifacts (java shop) but a
similar strategy should work for rpm versions. I should bug those guys
about presenting on that stuff someday.

KC