[chef] Re: Re: How to manage and deploy environments?

  • From: Steve Bennett < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: How to manage and deploy environments?
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:39:50 +1000

On 20 July 2012 23:07, Mike < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Hi Steve,

How are you placing the environment on the chef server? I create
environments locally in the Ruby DSL, then use `knife environment from
file environments/myenv.rb` to upload it to the server.

When bootstrapping a new node, I provide the `-E myenv` argument to
pass that along.

Great, I'll try that.

Be aware that environment default_attributes are overridded by role's
default//_attributes, as can be seen here:
http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Attributes#Attributes-Precedence

Ah - so I guess there is a "normal_attributes" command, too? There doesn't appear to be any doco for it?

Steve