[chef] Chef repository usage...

  • From: Morgan Blackthorne < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Chef repository usage...
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 21:54:11 -0700

Still getting up to speed with chef. I know that most people suggest putting the Chef configuration into a VCS like SVN/Git/etc, but what I'm not clear about is what files should be put into the repo and uploaded (say with shef or knife) and what should only exist on the chef server. For day to day operations, do you suggest using shef to edit and test configurations, and then download the files into the VCS repo to archive, or should everything be done through the VCS repo and pushed to the chef server via knife for testing?

Is there a knife command that will take a full (properly formatted) directory structure and upload it to chef in one go, or do you have to upload everything individually?

Thanks for the help.

~*~ StormeRider ~*~

"With hearts immortal, we stand before our lives
A soul against oblivion, forever asking why
This upside down symphony in a paradox called life
Our hearts immortal
What you give to love, will never die"