[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Gem install on Ubuntu 12

  • From: Steve Bennett < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Gem install on Ubuntu 12
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 18:05:18 +1000

On 23 July 2012 17:52, AJ Christensen < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
I fear you've seen a case where an out of date cookbook in an old
version of a snapshot repository hasn't been updated to use 'chef_gem'
resource to install gem to the Opscode Chef embedded Ruby
installation.

In the culprit recipe, if you change gem_package "pg" etc to chef_gem
"pg", that should remedy it!

Should gem_package be deprecated, then?

Most of the Opscode cookbooks on the community site have been updated
to support the new Omnibus based installations.

At Heavy Water, we developed the 'chef_gem' cookbook to allow "Forward
Compatibility" for ~> 0.10.0 to use the 'chef_gem' resource.

--
This cookbook is a transition cookbook aimed at helping move from the pre-chef_gem era to the post chef_gem era. The chef_gem resource was introducde in Chef 0.10.9, providing an easy mechanism for installing and using gems required by Chef internally. When used within an omnibus installation, chef_gems are installed within the embedded Ruby.
--

From the perspective of someone who just wants to get a cookbook to work, this is a lot of confusing detail about the internals of Chef, gems, etc. What is the "post-Chef_gem era"? Is chef_gem being phased out?

Steve