[chef] Re: Re: Best practices for autoscaling nodes?

  • From: Morgan Blackthorne < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Best practices for autoscaling nodes?
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:23:13 -0700

Thanks, I just read that.

So basically, you set it up to bootstrap Chef each time using the userdata. When customizing an AMI at an ops level, wouldn't it make more sense to do something along the lines of:
  • install chef-client and get it configured to talk to Chef, with your validation key
  • disable chef-client from running at boot time
  • create a script that runs from rc.local to delete & reconfigure the client.rb file, and then start chef-client with the bootstrap.json file
  • build the AMI
I'm newish to this, but I'm thinking that the less you need to change when spinning up an instance, the better. And doing it this way, if you need to push user-data to the instance (which I do for our nightly Selenium testing), it doesn't interfere with that at all.

Thoughts? I want to make sure I'm not missing something before I go down this road...

~*~ StormeRider ~*~

"With hearts immortal, we stand before our lives
A soul against oblivion, forever asking why
This upside down symphony in a paradox called life
Our hearts immortal
What you give to love, will never die"