[chef] Re: Best practices for autoscaling nodes?

  • From: Edward Sargisson < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Best practices for autoscaling nodes?
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 06:00:24 -0700

I wrote a blog post on how to do this *way back*. I still use the technique today.
http://www.trailhunger.com/blog/technical/2011/05/28/keeping-an-amazon-elastic-compute-cloud-ec2-instance-up-with-chef-and-auto-scaling/

The short answer is that you use your OS' AWS bootstrap code to write your node_name to /etc/chef/client.rb based on the AWS instance id.

Cheers,
Edward