[chef] Knife-Windows and Domain Authentication

  • From: Derek Schultz < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Knife-Windows and Domain Authentication
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 18:41:18 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Chefs,

I’m having some issues with getting Chef to communicate with our Windows 2003 R2 servers. There appears to be an problem with domain auth when running `knife winrm` as noted in an open ticket: http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/KNIFE_WINDOWS-25

I’ve copied the output of the knife command below. Also, note that I CAN communicate via WinRM between 2 Windows systems without issue, so that “should” rule out improper config in WinRM.

$ knife winrm "domain.com" "dir c:/" -m -x 'domain\administrator' -P'****' -VV

DEBUG: Using configuration from /home/chef/.chef/knife.rb

DEBUG: Adding domain.com

DEBUG: :session => :init

DEBUG: :relay_to_servers => dir c:/

DEBUG: :relayed => domain.com

DEBUG: domain.com => :run_command

ERROR: Failed to authenticate to ["domain.com"] as domain\administrator

Response: Bad HTTP response returned from server (401).

Anybody experience this same issue and have a workaround? I wish I could stick solely to the Linux management, but unfortunately I need to manage the Windows side as well, thus having to endure much pain throughout the process.

Cheers,

Derek