[chef] Re: Re: RE: Knife-Windows and Domain Authentication

  • From: Paul Morton - BIA < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: RE: Knife-Windows and Domain Authentication
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 14:02:01 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Interestingly, If you are using domain authentication, you should not need to enable basic auth. Domain authentication uses NTLM by default. If domain authentication is not working with basic off, that would be helpful to know.

Paul

Derek,

I just wrestled for this for a little while, and I was able to resolve the issue by doing the following:

1.  Login to Windows 2008R2 box.
2.  Run winrm get winrm/config/service

3.  Look for the following parameters:

    AllowUnencrypted = false
    Auth
        Basic = false

4.  Flip both of these to true.  Syntax for winrm is a bit painful, so let me just give you the commands to run:

   - winrm set winrm/config/service @{AllowUnencrypted="true"}
   - winrm set winrm/config/service/auth @{Basic="true"}

5.  Try running knife again, using the same syntax you showed us below.

AFAIK this should work with both versions of knife-windows that you've been working with.  I tested with 0.5.8.

Hope this helps.

-Tim