[chef] Re: Re: Meet test-kitchen

  • From: Torben Knerr < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Meet test-kitchen
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 07:11:10 +0200

Hi Joshua,

yep, it's all added as comments to the tickets now, except...

Am 24.08.2012 04:50 schrieb "Joshua Timberman" < " target="_blank"> >:
Ohai,

Thanks for opening the tickets, it's important to get those things tracked so folks can submit feedback, or contribute.

On Aug 23, 2012, at 12:46 AM, Torben Knerr < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

> Yes, for non-cookbook projects using "integration_test" that makes sense.
>
> For cookbook projects using "cookbook" the rvm option still does not
> (generally) make sense to me. Okay, if I know I have a basebox with
> rvm and some Rubies installed, then it would be fair to state that you
> want to test against several different rubies. Yes, but this makes
> some heavy assumptions about rvm and rubies being installed on the
> basebox, so I would rather see "runtimes" as an option within
> "platform", but not within "cookbooks", e.g.
>
> """
> platform :centos do
>  version "5.8" do
>    box "opscode-centos-5.8"
>    box_url "https://opscode-vm.s3.amazonaws.com/vagrant/boxes/opscode-centos-5.8.box"
>    runtimes ['1.9.2', '1.9.3']
>  end
> end
> """
>
> The default of [] would mean that the system ruby that is installed
> along with Chef of basebox is used. If "runtimes" is specified it
> would explicitly mean rvm rubies.
>
> For sure, you could then also exclude specific runtimes:
>
> """
> cookbook "apache2" do
>  configuration "default"
>  exclude :platform => 'centos', :runtimes => ['1.9.2']
>  run_list_extras ['apache2_test::setup']
> end
> """
>
> Does that make sense?
>

> Finally, this part of the current "cookbook" / "runtimes"
> documentation confuses me most: "The default for cookbook projects is
> [], which effectively disables spec/feature tests"
>
> Why should spec/feature tests be disabled in this case?

You also posted this to the appropriate tickets, yes? I just want to make sure I interpreted the comments correctly.

...that I've changed my mind a bit here: assuming that `runtimes` makes sense only within `integration_test` but not within `cookbook` (as argued in the comments), I would not add `runtimes` to `platform` and keep it really specific to the non-cookbook integration tests. Thus I did not add the code snippets above to the ticket.

Cheers,
Torben

Thanks!