[chef] chef-validator authentication fails after Chef server upgrade. How to fix this?

  • From: Ringo De Smet < >
  • To: Chef Users < >
  • Subject: [chef] chef-validator authentication fails after Chef server upgrade. How to fix this?
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 14:25:19 +0200

Hello,

This morning, I upgraded (via gems) the Chef installation on my Chef server and all the managed nodes. This was a completely functioning setup where I was using vagrant to test my cookbooks before taking them into production.

After the upgrade, all clients connected without any problems except for one thing: any access via chef-validator fails with "401 Unauthorized: Failed to authenticate"! I can create clients in the web UI, but the auto-registration via chef-validator doesn't work.

After a few such failures, I regenerated the key pair of chef-validator and saved the private key part in validation.pem. Doesn't resolve the problem.

Then I noticed the chef-validator client was not an admin user, so I edited the user and made it admin. Still no luck.

Anyone an idea how to fix this?

Ringo