[chef] status of test-kitchen?

  • From: Bryan Berry < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] status of test-kitchen?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 16:13:27 +0200

I really like test-kitchen and I think it has tremendous potential however I find that in its current state it is not a productive tool for me.  There are many outstanding bugs, as one can see here: http://tickets.opscode.com/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+KITCHEN+AND+fixVersion+%3D+EMPTY but the one that I find particularly challenging is that I cannot get test-kitchen to test only one virtualbox image rather than all 4 (centos 5,6, ubuntu 10,11). Further, I can't figure out how to run `librarian-chef update` if I make any changes to my Cheffile.

I have gotten the distinct impression that test-kitchen is the preferred testing tool for the opscode-cookbooks/ set of cookbooks. However, at this stage I find myself just spending to much time fighting w/ test-kitchen. I would like to know if anyone plans to put in the time and effort to bring test-kitchen to a more stable and usable form. I would love to pitch in, but right now my priority is to improve the state of the database/postgresql and java-related cookbooks.

In the meantime I will refocus my workflow, which I call "The Riot Way" based on Jamie Winsor's cookbook authoring guide http://vialstudios.com/guide-authoring-cookbooks.html

BryanWB