[chef] Re: Re: Re: how to make one node tell another to do some work

  • From: Ranjib Dey < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: how to make one node tell another to do some work
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 02:33:58 +0530

nagios event handler.. or what monitoring tool you are using does it have call backs to alerts?

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 11:03 PM, Jesse Campbell < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
I'm moving this from an orchestration system into chef because it does
not seem to me to be a terribly complex problem, and adding a new
orchestration system to the puzzle seems like a lot of work for such a
small task.

Maybe I was too vague in what I'm trying to do?

Each customer DB server knows what databases are running on it.

Sometimes one of the customer DB servers gets overloaded and we have
to migrate a database from one server to another.

Is there another simple solution to telling server A to dump the DB to
disk, and tell server B to pick it up?

I don't think that a work queue will work here, because only one DB is
relevant for the task... setting up 40 work queues for the 40 db
servers seems quite messy, and then I need to maintain yet another
service?

-Jesse