[chef] Re: Managing package preferences within chef (Debian, Ubuntu, RHEL, etc.)

  • From: Ranjib Dey < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Managing package preferences within chef (Debian, Ubuntu, RHEL, etc.)
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 02:41:42 +0530

do you mean an array of packages?
%w{ pkg1 pkg2 pkg3}.each do |pkg|
   action :remove
end

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 1:09 AM, Edward Morbius < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
We're looking for a lightweight way to specify package preferences
(inclusion and exclusion) on chef-managed hosts.

Ideally this would simply be a list of packages and desired
installation states.  Primary target is Ubuntu / Debian, so:

<packagename> <install|remove|purge>

... would be the general form.

I'm not seeing an obvious established way of doing this, but it seems
like the sort of thing that should exist.

What am I missing?

--
Dr. Ed Morbius
Chief Scientist / Philologist / Robot Wrangler / Powerplant Operator