[chef] How to split up chef stack?

  • From: Brian Hatfield < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] How to split up chef stack?
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 15:30:43 -0400

Ohai Chefs,

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to documentation or any write-ups on their Life Experience™ with regards to splitting up the Chef server stack?

More specifically, I already have figured out how to split couch from one web/api application server, which I found to be rather easy.

However, I'm wondering whether or not I need to centralize any other components as I start to add more api servers. Can rabbitmq/solr/chef-expander all run on each application server, or do any of them need to be centralized on the couch server?

If it helps, I plan to round-robin the requests without stickiness.

Any advice would be most helpful!

Thank you,
Brian