[chef] Re: GitHub service hooks for chef server?

  • From: Sachin Sagar Rai < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: GitHub service hooks for chef server?
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 01:18:38 +0545

+1

@millisami
~ Sachin Sagar Rai
Ruby on Rails Developer
http://tfm.com.np
http://nepalonrails.tumblr.com
Sent with Sparrow

On Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 1:14 AM, Wes Morgan wrote:

Ohai Chefs,

Has anyone considered building a GitHub service hook for chef repos? The idea being, you could turn it on, plug in your Chef server's URL and your credentials, and then pushes to your GitHub repo will automatically be uploaded to your Chef server (i.e. cookbooks, roles, environments, data bags, etc.). So git push would replace knife [thingy] from file / knife cookbook upload.

It seems like it would be a very convenient way to do the "files in git are the canonical representation of my Chef universe" pattern.

I know it's better to have a CI server do this after running the cookbooks, etc. through various tests. But that is a pretty high bar to get setup, and there is inherent value in having your Git repo and you Chef server in sync all the time.

Thoughts?

Wes