[chef] <% %> in template files

  • From: Charles Burns < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] <% %> in template files
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 13:27:54 -0400

I have a line I need to add to my rsyslog.conf.erb template, but chef doesn't seem to like it because it contains the characters <% and %> and there's not any ruby between them.

For example, I added this line to my template (it needs to be added to the rsyslog.conf on all my nodes):

$template GRAYLOG2,"<%PRI%>1 %timegenerated:::date-rfc3339% %HOSTNAME% %syslogtag% - %APP-NAME%: %msg:::drop-last-lf%\n"

but chef seems to be getting confused by <%PRI%>

What do people suggest to work around this? Is there some way I can escape those characters in a template or tell chef to treat them literally and not as a ruby command or variable marker?

--
Charles J. Burns