[chef] Re: RE: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [RFC] github.com/cookbooks

  • From: John Dewey < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: RE: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [RFC] github.com/cookbooks
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 21:29:16 -0800

IMO the community site should be the canonical list of cookbooks.

Some of you may not be ruby developers, or new to ruby gems.  One time at band camp a similar thing happened with ruby gems.   Github hosted ruby gems with gem names such as <github_id>-<gem_name>.  Eventually gem cutter came around, and we all rejoiced.  I'd just hate to fragment things with yet another cookbook location.

What if we did something wacky, bare with me, this isn't all that thought out.  Rather than uploading cookbooks we upload metadata about a cookbook and manage tagging of the repo much like ruby's bundler does when releasing a gem with `rake release`.  Maybe `knife release` … ? :)

We are then imposing the convention of people developing in git, and using a common practice of tagging upon a release.  The community site simply maintains metadata, and an API for tools (such as librarian/berkshelf/knife) to pull in a cookbook via it's respective git repo.

Probably a wacky approach, but at least it prevents further fragmentation.

John