[chef] Understanding the Chef philosophy

  • From: Kevin Keane (subscriptions) < >
  • To: < >
  • Subject: [chef] Understanding the Chef philosophy
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 18:19:22 -0800

Title: Understanding the Chef philosophy

I'm a (relative) beginner with Chef. One of the things I've been struggling with is understanding how to use community cookbooks, and whether there is an underlying philosophy behind how to use it. At first glance, it seems to me that many cookbooks seem to reinvent the wheel. Obviously there are many smart minds at work here, so there probably is a fundamental reason that I'm just not getting.

Case in point - and something I just ran into: the yum cookbook to manage repositories.

This cookbook creates .repo files; as far as I can tell, it does not support downloading epel-release*.rpm and installing that RPM.

The reason this tripped me up was that I tried to install the remi-collet repository (by RPM), which depends on the EPEL *RPM*.

In other cases, cookbooks put files into non-standard files or directory structures (which tends to break SELinux and native tools; SELinux is an absolute must-have for me).

Sure, this particular example is easy to solve.

But I hope to better understand the underlying idea so I can better leverage all the community cookbooks without giving up on the features of the platform.