[chef] [ANN] execute a single Chef recipe with chef-recipe command

  • From: Bryan Berry < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] [ANN] execute a single Chef recipe with chef-recipe command
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 10:58:53 +0100

Hey Chefs,

I have started training more ppl at $DAYJOB and found that I need a quicker way get new users started with Chef. I usually only have 20-30 minutes maximum to get a user started with Chef. Explaining resources, recipes, cookbooks, roles, environments, etc. easily takes up 1 hour. I needed a way to give my users comfortable w/ the ideas of resources and the concept of a recipe w/ in w/in 20 minutes. The user also needs to do something hands-on w/in that 20 minutes. In the 2nd training session i would introduce chef-solo and cookbooks.

To this end I have created chef-recipe https://github.com/bryanwb/chef-recipe, which evaluates a single recipe   `chef-recipe RECIPE_FILE`  . It is largely based on a gist from Daniel DeLeo (thanks Dan!)  It works pretty much the same as puppet-apply.

You can install chef-recipe as a gem `gem install chef-recipe`

chef-recipe is meant only as a training tool and not to be used for any real work. It is just a stepping stone to learning chef-solo and chef-client

This is totally alpha and I would love some feedback!