[chef] Re: [ANN] execute a single Chef recipe with chef-recipe command

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: [ANN] execute a single Chef recipe with chef-recipe command
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 11:14:30 -0800

On Sunday, November 18, 2012 at 1:58 AM, Bryan Berry wrote:

Hey Chefs,

I have started training more ppl at $DAYJOB and found that I need a quicker way get new users started with Chef. I usually only have 20-30 minutes maximum to get a user started with Chef. Explaining resources, recipes, cookbooks, roles, environments, etc. easily takes up 1 hour. I needed a way to give my users comfortable w/ the ideas of resources and the concept of a recipe w/ in w/in 20 minutes. The user also needs to do something hands-on w/in that 20 minutes. In the 2nd training session i would introduce chef-solo and cookbooks.

To this end I have created chef-recipe https://github.com/bryanwb/chef-recipe, which evaluates a single recipe   `chef-recipe RECIPE_FILE`  . It is largely based on a gist from Daniel DeLeo (thanks Dan!)  It works pretty much the same as puppet-apply.

You can install chef-recipe as a gem `gem install chef-recipe`

chef-recipe is meant only as a training tool and not to be used for any real work. It is just a stepping stone to learning chef-solo and chef-client

This is totally alpha and I would love some feedback!
This is most of the way towards what we'd need to merge it into chef proper. Just needs some tests and to take the monkey patching stuff out. Interested in contributing it?

--
Daniel DeLeo