[chef] RE: Re: Re: Re: Re: Knife Bootstrap for installing anf configuring chef client

  • From: Kevin Keane (subscriptions) < >
  • To: < >
  • Subject: [chef] RE: Re: Re: Re: Re: Knife Bootstrap for installing anf configuring chef client
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 22:46:29 -0800

Title: RE: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Knife Bootstrap for installing anf configuring chef client

Don't use the frameos.org repository. They did a great job at the time, but it has been superseded by the Opscode omnibus installation (Google for it; it's the easiest way to find the instructions).

The omnibus installation gives you a more recent version of Chef. Older versions, including I believe the one from frameos.org, didn't support RHEL 6 out of the box.

I would also recommend that you look into understanding the communication between chef client and chef server, since that is central to many aspects of the system. Without understanding it, you probably won't be able to get bootstrap to work.

Fundamentally, it is standard HTTP (over ports 4000 instead of the normal port 80). If you go over a public untrusted network, you would want to use HTTPS, which is a little tricky to set up.

Bootstrap simply uses SSH to connect to the machine you want to bootstrap, and then sends a few commands that downloads and installs chef-client. Once it is installed, it simply runs chef-client as normal.