[chef] Re: Application cookbook memory leak

  • From: Andrea Campi < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Application cookbook memory leak
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 11:07:31 +0100

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Karol Hosiawa < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
I'm using

https://github.com/opscode-cookbooks/application

and

https://github.com/opscode-cookbooks/application_ruby

to deploy about 60 apps on different nodes
running chef-client every 30 minutes as a service.
After a few hours the chef-client process uses 500MB, after a day more
than 1 GB.
I have 14 nodes and only the ones that have the "application" cookbook
in the run list leak memory.

We run chef-client from crontab so we don't have that problem, but I have seen something I think is related:
If the chef run fails during a deployment, the JSON dump file will be humongous.
I haven't dug in yet, but it looks like we are holding a reference to a huge amount of state.

If you find out more, I'd be very interested to hear.

As an aside: the chef-client recently gained the ability to fork for each run when running as a service. In theory that should mitigate the problem for you.