[chef] Re: Thoughts on service monitoring...

  • From: Mathieu Martin < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Thoughts on service monitoring...
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 22:48:40 -0500

Hey Peter,

I have used foreman (the one you linked to) in the past as a development tool to work alongside Heroku. Its use was to run a single command to have "everything" running. In my case: Rails, a background job worker and a Solr search index. I always assumed the point of foreman was to make it easier for developers (esp. less experienced ones, or e.g. designers) to have a "production-like" environment running at all times.

Although the quality of the tool was excellent, I didn't get the impression it was meant to manage production deployments.

Note that foreman's Procfile is also used by Heroku to map out how to start each of your services when you deploy, but they don't use foreman for that.

The way Heroku works, each instance of your resources you request actually provisions a new VM. E.g. 5x web + 2x worker = 7 VMs (or dynos, in Heroku parlance). Foreman definitely doesn't do that kind of heavy lifting :-)

Mat