[chef] Chef Development Workflow Survey Results

  • From: Sol Kindle < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Chef Development Workflow Survey Results
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 11:56:26 -0800

Thank you to everyone who participated!

Here are the results:

QUESTION:

Chef isn't prescriptive in terms of workflow, thus allowing different people to do it the way that works best for them.

Given the following published workflow styles on the wiki: http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Cookbook+Workflows

Which one works best for you?

I will post the results to the Chef mailing list.

Thanks!

RESULTS:

Total Participants: 53

Combined chef / cookbook repo                 9.4%    5
One git repository containing all cookbooks   18.9%   10
One git repository per cookbook               7.5%    4
Cookbooks as git sub-modules                  5.7%    3
Librarian                                     24.5%   13
Berkshelf                                     34.0%   18

6 people added extra optional comments:

Answer: Librarian
We're re-tooling to go from "One Git repository containing all cookbooks" to using Librarian / one-Git-repository-per-cookbook. As the number of Chef users within our organization increases, we are finding that people are mixing-and-matching community and internally-developed cookbooks ... and that lots of people are contributing changes to our single repo body of many internal cookbooks. That's a lot of pull requests to manage, since they all have to be tested on four different platforms. Our testing framework is similar to test-kitchen, but implemented somewhat differently. We think that switching both the test framework and repositories to using Librarian should address our problems -- pull requests will be scoped against individual cookbooks and we won't need to test quite so many things at once in a particular test pass. I spend a lot of time thinking/worrying about Chef workflow. ;) Hope this helps.

Answer: One git repository containing all cookbooks
(though I haven't tried librarian or berkshelf yet)

Answer: One git repository per cookbook
Mostly using Spiceweasel, occasionally Librarian but plan on checking out Berkshelf. Supposedly Spiceweasel is supposed to add support for Librarian and Berkshelf

Answer: Berkshelf
berks ftw

Answer: One git repository per cookbook
Well, one git repository per cookbook (which may be a fork of a community cookbook), managed by librarian within the chef-repo.

Answer: One git repository per cookbook
* One git repository per potentially reusable cookbook * One git repository containing all cookbooks with the "potentially reusable cookbook" merged in via braid

I hope this helps someone looking for their own workflow.

-Sol

  • [chef] Chef Development Workflow Survey Results, Sol Kindle, 12/07/2012