[chef] Enabling bin-logging with mysql recipe

  • From: Mathieu Martin < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Enabling bin-logging with mysql recipe
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 11:31:22 -0500

Hey everyone,

I've been banging my head against the wall all morning with this one :-) I'm trying to enable bin-logging in mysql, to eventually set up replication.

I'm using the most recent version of the mysql cookbook (I just git pulled the repo), on CentOS 6.3.

I'm setting server-id to 1 and log_bin to "vagrant-bin", as you can see in the following node.json:

{ "mysql": {
    "server_root_password": "",
    "server_repl_password": "",
    "server_debian_password": "",
    "tunable": {
      "innodb_buffer_pool_size": "256M",
      "log_queries_not_using_index": true,
      "max_allowed_packet": "16M",
      "max_heap_table_size": "32M",
      "query_cache_size": 0,
      "max_connections": 500,
      "thread_cache_size": 50,
      "innodb_flush_method": "O_DIRECT",
      "innodb_log_file_size": "64M",
      "log_error": "/var/log/mysql-error.log",
      "log_queries_not_using_index": true,
      "log_slow_queries": "/var/log/mysql-slow.log",
      "old_passwords": 0,
      "log_bin": "vagrant-bin",
      "server_id": "1"
    }
  },
  "run_list":[ "mysql::server" ]
}

As you can guess, I'm just kicking the tires in Vagrant first :-)

After running chef-solo, my /etc/my.cnf seems ok, here's the relevant part, from the [mysqld] section:
server-id = 1
binlog_format = statement
log_bin = vagrant-bin

However, after the chef run (or even after a manual service mysqld restart), bin logging and the server id don't get picked up at all. From the mysql console:
SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'log_bin' \G SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'server_id' \G
Variable_name: log_bin
        Value: OFF
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

Variable_name: server_id
        Value: 0
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

So my questions are: has anybody successfully enabled bin-logging with the mysql cookbook? If so, which version of the cookbook? Any gotchas I should be aware of? Any related config I should be considering?

Note: upon further inspection, none of the configs I'm setting seems to get picked up at all. They all appear correctly in /etc/my.cnf, but mysqld doesn't seem to take them into account...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mathieu