[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Enabling bin-logging with mysql recipe

  • From: Mathieu Martin < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Enabling bin-logging with mysql recipe
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 15:26:15 -0500

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Lamont Granquist < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

proper procedure to change the innodb_log_file_size is to shut the database down, change the size, remove the old log files (ib_logfile0/ib_logfile1), and then restart the database.  if the log file sizes don't match it won't start back up.

it is a good idea to do this as the default is tiny and you'll reduce both your write i/o and cpu utilization.  as you increase this number startup times will increase, so you probably don't need to push this beyond 256M and you should monitor and actively tune it if you think you need to go higher.

Thanks for the tips, Lamont!

It's a pretty scary thing to do to a live db, though.

I'm still pretty new to all of this. In the past few years I've had it easy, as I was on Heroku ;-)

Mat